1. Set a kitchen timer when using the hose as a reminder to turn it off. A running hose can discharge up to 10 gallons per minute.
2. Check your sprinkler system frequently and adjust sprinklers so only your lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk or street.
3. Minimize evaporation by watering during the early morning hours when temperatures are cooler and winds are lighter.
4. Apply water only as fast as the soil can absorb it.
5. If water runs off your lawn easily, split your watering time into shorter periods to allow for better absorption.
6. Water only when necessary. More plants die from over-watering than from under-watering.